Upgrading Webalizer from version 2.01-10 to 2.21-02

Webalizer is used to create Web (Apache) Usage Statistics and graphs. The home page of Webalizer is at http://www.webalizer.org/. Here is a sample (from the main website):

Sample Webalizer Image

When you use YUM (Yellowdog Updater, Modified) with CentOS, you won’t move Webalizer beyond version 2.01-10 which was a bit of a problem for me, because I had a corrupted webalizer.current file and really needed to make sure that this was not related to bugs that had already been fixed (which is what a Google search was leading me to believe).

In the end, I ended up removing (rm) webalizer.current , simply because whatever was wrong with it (and it was a very large file), did not see easily fixable. When webalizer ran the next time, it created a new one for me.

There are a number of web pages (you can find them through a Google search) which describe upgrading from version 2.01 to 2.20-01 but that is not the current version, and I really wanted to get to version 2.21-02 which is current as I write this. So, I thought it might benefit somebody else to jot down the steps I went through, especially considering the occasional typo I found (“install” ends with two l’s not one) during my Google searches. We are going to be compiling from source.


  • cd /tmp
  • Download (FTP or wget or right-click-file-save-as) webalizer-2.21-02-src.tgz from
    http://www.webalizer.org/download.html
  • tar zxvf webalizer-2.21-02-src.tgz
  • yum install gcc gcc-c++ gd-devel

    This is necessary for the compile (below) to work
  • cd webalizer-2.21-02-src.tgz
  • ./configure
  • make
  • make install

Webalizer version 2.21-02 should have been installed into /usr/local/bin/webalizer and you can check with:

       /usr/local/bin/webalizer –version


Now, if you have a previously installed version, it may still be in /usr/bin/webalizer (note: no “local”), so you’ll probably want to remove that, and just in case,

       ln /usr/local/bin/webalizer /usr/bin/webalizer

I have webmin installed, and when I went into (on the left side of the webmin web page) “servers” and then “Webalizer Logfile Analysis”, webmin correctly reports “Webalizer version 2.21-02”, so there is joy!

Obviously, although the steps above worked for me, YMMV.

This entry was posted in Dell PowerEdge 2650, Linux Apache MySQL PHP (LAMP), Server/Systems Management. Bookmark the permalink.